About Me

My photo
Smiling even through the toughest of times is my biggest life goal. I work toward this goal through friends, family, and most importantly music!

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Day 7, City of Gold

Our recent retreat from Anglesey left my need for action still salivating and hungering. So we sailed south along the coast towards warmer more temperate waters. I had heard rumors and stories of a great city of knowledge and wealth to the east of these southern waters. So we sailed east still following the coast not wanting to lose our way in the rough sea. After many days upon dark waters one of the men shouted that he spotted a city as bright as the sun to the east. It must be the place of legends and the anticipation grew inside me. We beached our longboat and headed inland towards a city made for Gods. Domes, pinnacles and walls as high as the heavens towered above us as approached the maingate. We were questioned by men doned in glorious metal-work, but we didnt understand anything that left there pursed lips. Our answer was obviously sufficient for they took us to someone who dressed much like ourselves. When the man spoke I was relieved to hear him speak in old norse "Welcome to Byzantium" he greeted and again the questioning continued. We were asked many questions, where we had come from, where we were headed and for what reasons. Each man answered differently for each mans needs were different. When our host confronted me, he seemed shocked by the simplicity of my answer. I was here for action, glory and wealth, the simplicites any man needs. He then took me aside and said he had a job for me if I was interested. I was intrigued so I met him later that day. When I entered the huge collesseum I wondered if I had mistaken the man's kind gesture for I was suddenly attacked without warning. Two men from the left wearing mere leather tunics charged recklessly towards me, while another group of men maybe ten-fold glared towards my back as I faced the headlong charge. Both struck towrds me simultaneously but a few quick backsteps and a roll to the right thrust me far from their strikes. Again they charged but this time I knew what to expect. I unsheathed my weapon and parried each strike rapidly pushing their swords out wards and off balance. Their swords came in again sweeping wildly, these men had little experience with a blade. I ended their poor attack suddenly ducking with a sweeping kick knocking both fools to the ground. Claps resounded behind me and as I turned the man who greeted us at the gate ran towards me congratulating me. I was then offered the position as gaurd to his majesty, king of Byzantium. I gladly accepted and now wore proudly the title Varangian Gaurd.

No comments: